- Apache 2
- PHP 7.0 or above (with PDO, gettext, CURL. Recommended to turn display_errors off.)
- MySQL 5 (collation set to utf8_general_ci)
After download and unzipping:
- Copy all files to your server, choosing either the root directory or a sub-folder within it.
- Navigate your browser to the folder on your server where Gibbon has been located.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in Gibbon’s new installer.
- Check out the Getting Started With Gibbon page for more information.
Note: If you want to help test and develop Gibbon, you can select the Cutting Edge Code option in the installer. This allows you to run the latest code from our GitHub repo. This is not recommended for production environments.
Looking for a quick install? Download Gibbon via Softaculous.
If you are using a web hosting company that provides Softaculous via CPanel, you can follow the instructions in the video below to install Gibbon:
Post-Install & Server Config
- Set permissions of all Gibbon files so they are not publicly writeable (e.g.
chmod -Rv 755).
- Create folder
/uploadsand set file permissions for to allow writing by web server (avoid chmod 777 for security reasons).
- To improve security and reliability,
magic_quotes_gpcshould be turned off in php.ini. This is supposed to be deprecated in PHP 5.3, but experience shows sometimes it is better to turn it off anyway.
- Turn PHP
register_globalsoff. On shared host, use .htaccess
php_flag register_globals offto do this
- Set PHP to allow
<?as well as
short_open_tagon. (This is not required for running the Core as of v8.0.00 or greater. Update your additional modules to the latest version.)
- Turn folder browsing off. On shared host, use .htaccess
- Set PHP’s
max_file_uploadsto at least the number of students in a class.
- Set PHP’s error to be
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICEor less aggressive
- Set PHP to allow URLs as files (otherwise Calendar overlay in TT will not work).
- Set PHP’s
max_input_varssetting to 5,000 (otherwise Manage Permissions breaks)
- On systems that use selinux make sure to run
setsebool -P httpd_can_sendmail 1to enable Gibbon to send mail.