Budgets allow the division and annual re-stocking, of financial resources, against which expense requests can be made. The following three concepts are useful in understanding how Gibbon’s budgets work:
- Budgets - these are generally departments or school functions (e.g. Maths, ICT, Activities), and are responsible for financial resource allocation. Budgets have staff members who can have the following types of access:
- Full (approve requests)
- Write (make requests)
- Read (view requests)
- Budget Cycles - these are generally school or financial years or quarters, and are used to divide spending into time frames.
- Budget Allocation - these are sums of money that are allocated to a budget in a given budget cycle.
- Go to Other > Finance in the main menu at the top of the page.
- Select Manage Budgets in the module menu
- Use the Add button to create new budget areas.
- Ensure that new budget areas have the correct staff, with the correct permissions, allocated to them.
- Select Manage Budget Cycles in the module menu
- Use the Add button to create new budget cycles.
- For each new budget cycle, allocate funds to appropriate budgets.
- Move on to look at the expense Approval Process.